Skip to main content

Shark jumping LIVE at MDP

At the risk of sounding all teenage-ry, I just want to say: Oh. My. God.

I'm actually going to speak on a panel at the first Bloggers' Caucus at the Michigan Democratic Convention tomorrow.

Surely this means I have now jumped the shark -- or will do so, LIVE, in front of an audience tomorrow.

I'm pretty blase about blogging after four years at it, and a decade of participating in or hosting online communities. But here in fly-over country, blogging is still less than common. While I don't get asked, "What the hell is a blog?" as frequently as I did in 2002 and 2003, I still get the odd look from folks who believe that blogging is the exclusive domain of teenagers killing time or fomenting insurrection. (Teenager, no. Fomenting insurrection, possibly. The NSA surely knows.)

But in the morning I'll be speaking in front of peers -- a group of them, people whose blogging I admire greatly for their brainy brawn and for their terrific snarkiness. I'm so geeked I can't sleep; it's 1:45 am EDT and I don't know how I'm going to manage to force myself to drift off.

It's being in front of and with a great group of blogging peers that has me so shaken and stirred; I am less rattled by the prospects of at least one Senator, the Governor and possibly a Representative dropping into the caucus. Perhaps it's because I fear far less what these elected officials of Democratic and democratic values can do to me than what my blogging peers can do. Imagine me reduced to blithering like Farah Fawcett at William Shatner's roast -- and I wouldn't even be able to blame it on drugs, alcohol or excessive exposure to bleach.

Shark-jumping or no, I'm going to try hard to post about this inaugural event, maybe even have pictures to share. This isn't an earth-shattering event, but it still means something that a state party is willing to recognize bloggers with their own caucus. And maybe it will be an echo chamber, just a few handfuls of us who already know each other virtually if not in the flesh. Perhaps that will be important to note, too.

And now, off to bed...

[Cross-posted at RadioFreeBlogistan.]

Comments

Neva said…
I would wish you good luck but I don't think you'll need it. You'll be awesome! Have fun!
Rayne Today said…
Hey Neva! good to see you here! Hope you are doing well; I'm overdue for a visit by your blog, too.

It was fun; wish that a couple of folks we had hoped would make the panel could have done so -- like Juan Cole -- but maybe next convention that will happen. What I'm really digging is what's now happening behind the scenes, now that all the MI bloggers have met. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Liveblogged: U.S. vs. Libby -- A primer

As FireDogLake's liveblogging of Libby's trial continues, I note a number of abbreviations, acronyms, slang, shorthand popping up on the fly that most of us Plame-maniacs already know but newbies may not grasp. I'm going to try to document them here, a kind of not-so-secret decoder ring. If there's something you'd like to see added, leave me a comment and I'll cover it here. NOTE: in the event of a server crash at FireDogLake.com, check Windcatpond for announcements, as well as DailyKos for alternative live blogging posts. Complete list of FireDogLake's Libby trial live blog and related posts her e. Acronyms and Abbreviations: "ADD" From notes introduced during testimony by David Addington; abbreviation referred to Addington himself. ADDOPS ? -- Believe to be “Asst. Deputy Director Operations”-CIA (if you can confirm this one, leave me a comment, tks!) CIPA

Just In Case

 It's been a long time since I used this blog  —  nine years. That's an insanely long time on the internet. What can I say? I've over-invested myself in Twitter accounts. Microblogging suited me well for the last decade, in tandem with the writing and support work I've done at emptywheel. Now it's time to return to my roots. I may be here more frequently, especially if the Twitter sale goes through and is closed on. Just in case I leave Twitter altogether I'm floating this message in a bottle for you. Leave me a comment here if you want to chat, let me know how to contact you back. Catch me in comments over at emptywheel. Contact me on Mastodon at @raynetoday@mstdn.social . Those of you who've known me longer can still reach me by email which hasn't changed since I started this blog. You will NOT find me at Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn. Never. You may soon find me at Discord as I'm thinking about opening an account there. Whatever the case, I hop

Veep in deep

The Veep "accidentally" shoots a fellow hunter. From here on there is absolutely nothing good about this story. It stinks like curdled milk and three-day-old fish on a summer's day in Dallas. How do we even begin to count the ways in which this reeks? The 22-hour gap: WTF? There's absolutely no excuse for this, we can all agree on this point. But why? Was a key person in this story under the influence of a substance that would take a day to clear? Were they trying to get their stories straight? Heck, could they not come up with a story? Or was the victim not in the clear for that long? The "group" of hunters: Why did it take even longer than the 22-hour gap to identify the third hunter? Why is the media repeatedly using the word "group" to describe two people (Dick Cheney and Pamela Willemore)? The composition of the party: A divorcee ranch owner. An older man who does not appear to be married at this time. A woman sans spouse.