Skip to main content

The garden before vacation

I'm just now getting around to catching up on things that I had to set aside in order to get the family packed up and out of town for a couple of weeks. Since I'm going to YearlyKos, the kids are going to stay with their grandparents; we're spending quality time together here in the Great White North before I go to the convention, and I'll decompress with them here after the convention and before we head back home.

But that means the garden has been left untended, or left in the care of my husband who will be traveling quite a bit during these two weeks. The kids took these snaps just before we left town; we are very curious about the changes we will see when we arrive back home. Besides an avalanche of zucchini and tomatoes, what else do you think will happen?


This is the first zucchini, now much larger than a nine-year-old's hand, ready for picking. But the kids forgot it; hubby says he picked them and tossed them because he didn't know what to do with them. [sigh] The kids are NOT happy about this.










You can almost see the first cucumber in the shade of the cucumber leaves, a little larger than a thirteen-year-old's thumb. (I think a lesson on photographic lighting and flash might be in order, but this is a good first attempt.)











Looks like I will be making a lot of tomato sauce when I return; the Roma plants are beginning to put out a lot of fruits. Some plants, like the Brandywines, are getting a few yellowed and speckled leaves at the bottom; it may be time to give them some magnesium in the form of a little epsom salts mixed in water.










And this shot worries me. Not only do we have a cartload of Thai hot peppers coming in, looking rather like monstrous hands with long, green, plentiful fingers rising from the bed, but my daughter was too close to her brother at the time this photo was taken. I don't know how the camera didn't get wet while my son was watering the bed. (Perhaps a lesson in camera care is also warranted...)

Comments

Unknown said…
I think I'll have to find the recipe for zucchini chutney. ('Large zucchini' it says. I don't think they mean sofa-pillow size, though.)
I have one for four-seasons bread (apple, orange, tomato, or zucchini) - it's a spice quickbread with the seasonal fruit or veg.
Rayne Today said…
Sounds yummy, PJ, never made a zuke chutney. We have a tasty chocolate zuke quick bread we make in the bread machine, can use the pillow-sized ones in that recipe easily if they can be hacked into grate-able chunks.

Popular posts from this blog

Just In Case

 It's been a long time since I used this blog  —  nine years. That's an insanely long time on the internet. What can I say? I've over-invested myself in Twitter accounts. Microblogging suited me well for the last decade, in tandem with the writing and support work I've done at emptywheel. Now it's time to return to my roots. I may be here more frequently, especially if the Twitter sale goes through and is closed on. Just in case I leave Twitter altogether I'm floating this message in a bottle for you. Leave me a comment here if you want to chat, let me know how to contact you back. Catch me in comments over at emptywheel. Contact me on Mastodon at @raynetoday@mstdn.social . Those of you who've known me longer can still reach me by email which hasn't changed since I started this blog. You will NOT find me at Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn. Never. You may soon find me at Discord as I'm thinking about opening an account there. Whatever the case, I hop

Liveblogged: U.S. vs. Libby -- A primer

As FireDogLake's liveblogging of Libby's trial continues, I note a number of abbreviations, acronyms, slang, shorthand popping up on the fly that most of us Plame-maniacs already know but newbies may not grasp. I'm going to try to document them here, a kind of not-so-secret decoder ring. If there's something you'd like to see added, leave me a comment and I'll cover it here. NOTE: in the event of a server crash at FireDogLake.com, check Windcatpond for announcements, as well as DailyKos for alternative live blogging posts. Complete list of FireDogLake's Libby trial live blog and related posts her e. Acronyms and Abbreviations: "ADD" From notes introduced during testimony by David Addington; abbreviation referred to Addington himself. ADDOPS ? -- Believe to be “Asst. Deputy Director Operations”-CIA (if you can confirm this one, leave me a comment, tks!) CIPA

Veep in deep

The Veep "accidentally" shoots a fellow hunter. From here on there is absolutely nothing good about this story. It stinks like curdled milk and three-day-old fish on a summer's day in Dallas. How do we even begin to count the ways in which this reeks? The 22-hour gap: WTF? There's absolutely no excuse for this, we can all agree on this point. But why? Was a key person in this story under the influence of a substance that would take a day to clear? Were they trying to get their stories straight? Heck, could they not come up with a story? Or was the victim not in the clear for that long? The "group" of hunters: Why did it take even longer than the 22-hour gap to identify the third hunter? Why is the media repeatedly using the word "group" to describe two people (Dick Cheney and Pamela Willemore)? The composition of the party: A divorcee ranch owner. An older man who does not appear to be married at this time. A woman sans spouse.